Deadline: 26 June 2022 11:59 pm (CEST)
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Innovation Challenge 2022
Apply to receive up to US $100,000 in equity-free funding, mentorship and access to the world’s largest humanitarian organization.
Applications for the 2022 United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Innovation Challenge is now open. The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is saving lives in emergencies and changing lives for millions through sustainable development. WFP works in more than 80 countries, feeding people caught in conflict and disasters, and laying the foundations for a better future.
Eradicating hunger requires bold efforts to improve communities’ resilience to external shocks and local and national institutions’ capacities to adapt to the impacts of climate change. This year’s WFP Innovation Challenge seeks disruptive innovations that strengthen climate change adaptation in food systems and enable greater community resilience.
Funding — Apply to receive up to $100,000 in equity-free funding, with further funding dependent upon progress and measurable achievement of key targets.
Access to WFP Operations — Successful teams will work with WFP units on the ground to further develop and refine their solutions.
Hands-On Support — You’ll have the chance to work with technical and industry mentors who will provide guidance and accelerate your progress. Selected projects will be able to apply for the WFP Sprint Programme, a six-month acceleration programme that may qualify for further funding and support.
Networking — Teams will be able to tap into and leverage our strong network of public, private, and government partners to accelerate implementation.
Eligibility Requirements for the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Innovation Challenge 2022
If you are a start-up:
- Your start-up must be incorporated at the time of application. It can be for profit or not-for-profit.
- Your innovation must at least be at the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) stage. Proof-of-concept and initial traction is preferred.
- Your solution should be financially viable.
- Your proposal must show how working with WFP will serve your long-term strategy.
If you are a WFP employee:
- Your team must have evidence of Country Office support and management buy-in.
- You are encouraged to apply, regardless of your contract type or function.
- Acceptance project applications from WFP employees who are collaborating with NGOs, government or private sectors.
Selection Process for the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Innovation Challenge 2022
Applications submitted to the WFP Innovation Accelerator are assessed according to a standard set of criteria, and are reviewed by both WFP and external experts. Please note that we prioritize projects that are designed alongside our core users—vulnerable communities—and that show initial traction and market validation to ensure impact and maximize cost effectiveness. We are looking for innovations that meet the following expectations:
- Impact for the people we serve and potential to reach Zero Hunger
- Feasibility, including time to deliver impact, technology maturity, and user traction
- Level of innovation
- Financial sustainability with a clear business case that does not rely on WFP funding
- Team strength, experience, and commitment