Deadline: June 13, 2022
The Watershed Film Critics Workshop 2022
Applications are now open for the Watershed Film Critics Workshop 2022. The Watershed is calling on aspiring and early career video essay makers and film critics to apply for the 6th edition of the Film Critics’ Workshop dedicated to video essays (July – Sept 2022) as part of Cinema Rediscovered. Watershed champions engagement, imagination and ingenuity, working locally, nationally and globally from our home in Bristol, UK.
This year’s workshop will be led by film historian, programmer and video editor Jonathan Bygraves with guests including film scholar and video maker Catherine Grant, video essayist Jessica McGoff and non-fiction filmmaker Charlie Shackleton.
- Expect practice-based insights, space to develop your voice and experiment with form as well as opportunities to interact with other creatives involved.
- All participants will get a complimentary pass to attend the 6th edition of Cinema Rediscovered (Wed 20 – Sun 24 July 2022, Bristol, UK).
- Each will be commissioned to produce at least one video essay for feedback and publication related to the programming or themes of Cinema Rediscovered.
- There are ten places on this workshop. It is free to attend and there will be a £50 commissioning fee towards each participant’s piece.
Venue & Time
This workshop will take place entirely online via Slack and Zoom as well as in-person over the following dates:
- Session 1 Wed 6 July 17:00 – 18:30 via Zoom
- Session 2 Wed 13 July 17:00 – 18:30 via Zoom
- Session 3 Fri 22 July 09:30 – 10:30 in-person at Cinema Rediscovered
- Session 4 Wed 27 July 17:00 – 18:30 via Zoom
- Session 5 Wed 3 Aug 17:00 – 18:30 via Zoom
How To Apply – The Watershed Film Critics Workshop 2022
To apply, please fill in THIS APPLICATION FORM and upload or link to video essay / one article / podcast / form of creative criticism (no longer than 1000 words for text, 5 minutes edit for video/audio, single page for other visual submissions). If you do not already have a piece of criticism to submit, please submit a short piece to camera and/or write 500 words on any film or film industry issue of your choosing.
Successful participants will be notified by Mon 20 June 2022.
If you have any questions about the application process or require further information, please email [email protected].