Deadline: 30th June, 2022
PESCA Uganda MSc Research Fellowship Programme 2022 in Aquaculture
The call for applications for the PESCA Uganda MSc Research Fellowship Programme 2022 in Aquaculture is now open for qualified citizens of Uganda to apply before the deadline date (30th June, 2022). The Department of Zoology, Entomology, and Fisheries Sciences, College of Natural Sciences, Makerere University, was awarded a contract under the European Union-funded project: Promoting Environmentally Sustainable Commercial Aquaculture (PESCA) for the provision of training services.
The overall objective of the assignment is to support training that will improve knowledge, skills, and practices that enhance aquaculture production and productivity in Uganda. This will be achieved through the following specific objectives:
i) Support the placement of undergraduate students to work (internships) with fish farmers or other suitable aquaculture value chain actors;
ii) Conduct inclusive customized short-term training with gender considerations (women, men, youth, people with disabilities) including farmers, Producer Organizations (POs), feed & seed producers, service providers, and other aquaculture stakeholders; and
iii) Support MSc research and training.
The main outcomes of the training and research will include:
i) enhanced capacity to produce graduates who are relevant to industry needs in the aquaculture and fisheries sector in the country
ii) fit-for-purpose proactive graduates to support aquaculture, and
iii) strengthened partnerships with industry, research, and academia in the production of quality graduate students in the aquaculture value chain, relevant for economic development.
About the Fellowship – PESCA Uganda MSc Research Fellowship Programme 2022 in Aquaculture
The call for applications is for eight (8) Research fellowships in eight (8) Focal Areas to be executed under Support for MSc Research and training (i.e., no more than one student per Focal Area). Each of these fellowships is expected to be implemented within a period not exceeding six (6) months. The Focal Areas are:
- Aquaculture production systems
- Seed production
- Feed production
- Post-harvest handling, value addition, and marketing of farmed fish
- Fish diseases and health management (biosafety)
- Climate-smart aquaculture development
- Gender-responsive aquaculture development
- Fish producer associations in aquaculture commercialization
- Applicants must be Ugandan citizen
- Applicants MUST be duly registered for the Academic year 2021/22 in a Public University for MSc. programmes in Fisheries and Aquaculture-related disciplines.
- Females and candidates with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must provide evidence of successful completion of coursework in the first year of study.
Application Process for the PESCA Uganda MSc Research Fellowship Programme 2022 in Aquaculture
The application package should include:
- One-page motivation letter.
- 2-3-page Concept Note on the research topic of interest within the above thematic areas.
- Curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages).
- Copies of academic documents.
- Evidence of registration for an MSc. programme at a Public University.
- Recommendation letters from two academic referees.
How To Submit Application
Applications should be compiled into a single PDF file and submitted electronically to the Head of Department, Dr Eric Sande ([email protected]), with a copy to the Team Leader Dr Jackson Efitre ([email protected]), and the Graduate Coordinator Dr Ronald Semyalo ([email protected]), by the deadline of 30th June 2022, 5:00pm.