Deadline: 1 August 2022.
JIAS Writing Fellowship Program 2023 for African writers who work in Fiction (long and short form), Creative Non-Fiction, Playwriting, Screenwriting and Poetry
Applications are now open for the JIAS Writing Fellowship Program 2023 for African writers who work in Fiction (long and short form), Creative Non-Fiction, Playwriting, Screenwriting and Poetry, which will run from 1 February to 31 May 2023.
The Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS) Writing Fellowships are inclusive of authors who specialize in any discipline, including those who write novels in native languages. Academics, writers, scientists, poets, playwrights, independent researchers, and journalists have all been fellows in the past.
Every year, the Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study invites a group of outstanding academics and authors from several fields as Writing Fellows from the beginning of February until the end of May. Each Writing Fellow concentrates on their own project while gaining from interactions with other Writing Fellows and the larger community of academics and authors from the institutions in Johannesburg and Gauteng.
The workshop is free to attend, and there is no application cost.
Participants in the Writers’ Workshop will each receive:
- Accommodation at JIAS’ private residence
- Daily meals
- An intensive and immersive creative experience
- Mentorship from an established and accomplished writer
Requirements for the JIAS Writing Fellowship Program 2023
- The JIAS Writers’ Workshop is open to African writers who work in Fiction (long and short form), Creative Non-Fiction, Playwriting, Screenwriting and Poetry.
- Workshop participants will be mentored by accomplished, critically-acclaimed and award-winning writers.
- This is a great opportunity for novice writers to learn from established writers who are masters of their craft.
- Participants in the workshop will also be able to take advantage of and benefit from the vitality and diversity that a dynamic city like Johannesburg has to offer.
How to Apply
Referees should submit three letters of reference directly to [email protected] before 1 August 2022.
Please note that reference letters should not be submitted by applicants themselves and incomplete applications will not be considered.