Deadline: Friday, 26 May 2023
Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC) DSI-HSRC Internship Programme 2023
The Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC) is responsible for the management of the DSI-HSRC Internship Programme on behalf of the Department of Science and Innovation.
The Internship Programme provides unemployed Science, Engineering and Technology (SET), Research, Development, Innovation, Social Sciences and Humanities graduates and postgraduates (excluding Post-doctoral candidates) an opportunity to acquire practical work experience through mentoring and exposure in an environment, relevant to their qualification.
Placement will be available in public and private higher education institutions, science councils, research agencies, private sector, non-profit organisations and in relevant industries.
Candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply. Reasonable disability support may be provided on request from the Intern or the institution.
To be eligible, interns MUST meet the following minimum requirements:
• Be a South African citizen or South African Permanent Resident (with a valid South African Identity Document).
o Non-South Africans are not eligible to apply;
• Should be currently unemployed and 35 years of age or younger at the time of appointment to the internship programme;
• A graduate holding any of the following:
o NQF Level 7: Bachelor’s, Advanced Diploma, or B-Tech Degree;
o NQF Level 8: Bachelor’s Hons Degree, and Postgraduate Diploma;
o NQF Level 9: Master’s Degree or M-Tech.
• Hold a qualification in Science, Engineering and Technology, Research, Development, Innovation, Social Sciences and Humanities or related disciplines and SHOULD HAVE COMPLETED THEIR STUDY at the time of submitting the application. See list of areas of specialisations/disciplines available across all provinces below.
The following applies to candidates who are NOT ELIGIBLE to be appointed as DSI-HSRC interns:
- Candidates who hold a Diploma at BELOW NQF level 7 as well as PhD at NQF level 10;
- Candidates who would be registered full-time for study
- Registered Doctoral (PhD, DPhil and DTech) students; and
- Candidates who hold DSI-funded scholarships or bursaries during the internship year.
- Candidates who are past beneficiaries of the DSI-NRF or DSI-HSRC Internship programme
The internship programme is offered for a period of 24 months. Successful applicants will be required to sign a contract for the duration of the internship.
The DSI-HSRC Internship will provide interns with a monthly salary depending on the level of qualification for the duration of the two-year period:
- Bachelors: R 6 758 per month
- Honours: R 7 478 per month
- Masters: R 8 878 per month
PLACEMENT AT VARIOUS HOST INSTITUTIONS
Participating Host Institutions are located throughout the country and interested applicants should as far as possible apply for a position available in the province where they normally live. Applicants are urged to consider the choice of province carefully as the cost of living away from home maybe high and place a burden on you.
Kindly note that the HSRC does not pay relocation costs to any appointed candidates who choose to relocate to another province.
HOW TO APPLY
All applications must be submitted electronically on the DSI-HSRC Internship Online Management System. Applicants must first register under the tab Create Intern Account and provide their personal details as required. After registration, log in and go to My Profile menu and complete all the required information. Proceed to my applications menu and create an application by completing all the relevant sections following instructions provided.
The closing date for applications is Friday, 26 May 2023; no late applications will be considered. Please click here to access the online system.