Global CleanTech Innovation Programme (GCIP) Nigeria 2023
Global Cleantech Innovation Programme (GCIP), a flagship initiative of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) supported by the Global Environment Facility (GEF) and the Green Climate Fund (GCF) as well as bilaterally by donor countries.
The Programme promotes innovation and entrepreneurship in emerging markets and developing economies to address climate and environmental challenges. GCIP supports start-ups and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) with innovative cleantech ideas in establishing and upscaling robust business models. GCIP also strengthens entrepreneurship ecosystems and facilitates partnerships and networking between private and public actors to ensure the long-term sustainability of its interventions.
The Global Cleantech Innovation Programme (GCIP) seeks strategic bilateral partnerships with country donors to foster private sector initiative, entrepreneurship and engagement in accelerating the uptake and investments in innovative cleantech solutions at scale for climate action and low-carbon development. GCIP delivers key environmental and economic benefits, in particular, low-carbon economic growth, creation of green jobs, women’s empowerment and engagement of youth.
GCIP is aligned with the Paris Agreement goals and works long-term and strategically to contribute to both donor funding priorities and national development objectives. GCIP has a vast experience of successfully contributing to the climate donors’ development objectives, including through its successful partnership with the Global Environment Facility (GEF).
The Programme seeks strategic donor partners to support its mission to improve and advance cleantech entrepreneurship and innovation support in more frontier markets of the Global South and beyond. GCIP interventions in a new partner country include:
- Business acceleration support and technical assistance to develop early-stage cleantech innovations into market-ready businesses.
- Targeted interventions and the creation of a national support structure for women cleantech entrepreneurs.
- Training and certifying cleantech innovation and entrepreneurship experts (coaches, mentors, and judges) and national innovation and industry-related institutions.
- Facilitation of workshops and multi-sectoral dialogues to raise awareness on the business, investment and job creation opportunities embedded in climate action and energy transition.
- Development of policy recommendations and frameworks to strengthen national ecosystems supporting and enabling cutting-edge cleantech solutions.
- Facilitating curated interactions among cleantech enterprises of the newcomer partner country and the bilateral donor’s country to explore technology collaboration, market expansion and business and investment opportunities.
- Connecting the newcomer GCIP partner country with the donor’s country and other GCIP countries to promote linkages, collaboration and synergies across national cleantech innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystems.
With the support of strategic donors interested in climate technology and cleantech promotion, GCIP has the potential for further expansion and upscaling as the largest cleantech innovation and entrepreneurship support Programme in frontier markets.
Contact the GCIP team for more information about donor and sponsorship opportunities at [email protected]