Deadline: 15 March 2023
Centre for Human Rights, Faculty of Law, University of Pretoria Doctoral Scholarship Program 2023
The Centre for Human Rights, Faculty of Law, University of Pretoria, calls for applications for full-time doctoral scholarships in the field of sexual and/ or reproductive rights in the African region.
Download call for applications
The doctoral scholarship is aimed at strengthening the Sexual and Reproductive Rights in Africa Programme of the Centre in ways that develop a distinct focus on interrogating culture and/or criminalisation as part of broader discourses on sexual and/ or reproductive rights in the African region. The scholarships are comprehensive, covering tuition fees, travel, living expenses and ancillary costs.
Successful candidates will be expected to reside in Pretoria for the three-year period of the scholarship, and to contribute to the work of the Centre (for about 25 hours per week). The period of residence would ideally start in May 2023.
Interested applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A Master’s Degree in law or humanities focusing on, or closely related to, the field of sexual and/or reproductive rights
- Excellent proficiency in both written and spoken English
- Excellent proficiency in academic research
- Demonstrable interest and expertise in sexual and reproductive rights
- Some familiarity with the African human rights system
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
The application must include:
- curriculum vitae;
- brief motivation for applying for the scholarship, referring to the ‘minimum requirements’ above;
- proposal of about 3 to 5 pages of the prospective LLD/DPhil research (succinctly setting out the research problem; the research question(s) to be addressed; the proposed research methods/ methodology; and demonstrating familiarity with the most salient literature);
- a sample of writing by the candidate in the area of sexual and/or reproductive rights; and
- copies of relevant post-graduate degree(s) and related academic transcript(s).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The Centre reserves the right to not fill the positions.