AkiraChix codeHive FACEOFF 2023 for Women-in-tech in Africa
codeHive is the AkiraChix signature program. It is a one-year fully sponsored residential hands-on technical training program. It provides education and economic opportunity to young women between 18 and 24 years from underserved communities who have completed high school education but are unable to further their education due to financial constraints.
We look to recruit 100 highly motivated young women from Kenya, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, and the refugee communities in Kenya, to join the codeHive class of 2023.
Students in the codeHive program receive on demand technology and non-cognitive skills. Students get the opportunity to attend and network at technology conferences and workshops.
All students are required to develop a market-ready prototype solution, pitch to prospective employers, and secure a three-month paid internship.
All young women admitted to the codeHive program receive full financial assistance of US $ 5,000 per student. This cost covers:
- One year tuition fee, accommodation, extracurricular activities, meals, transport during school activities and personal amenities.
- Access to technology hubs and maker spaces in Nairobi for tech events and prototyping respectively
- Access to leadership development through projects and self directed growth.
- Access to codeHiveX: an exclusive alumni community. Interested parties must meet the eligibility criteria to be part of this community.
Applicants must have:
- Completed High School no later than March 2020
- Possess a High School result slip/ transcript/ Photo of your results sent via SMS
- Be a young African woman aged 19-24 years on January 2023
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Be a resident of Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, or the refugee communities in Kenya.
- Have either a passport, National ID, Alien ID or Refugee certificate of your respective country of origin
- Interested in being a changemaker in your community.
- Available full-time to live and learn in the AkiraChix Campus from January 28th to December 1, 2023, throughout the program.
- Demonstrate leadership i.e. be able to demonstrate your involvement in leadership activities in your community i.e at school, church/mosque/ temple etc