Deadline: May 15, 2023, at 5 p.m. CT.
19th News Frances Ellen Watkins Harper Fellowship Programme 2023-2024
The 19th is recruiting for its 2023-2024 fellowship cohort of the Frances Ellen Watkins Harper Fellowship. Named for the “mother of African-American journalism,” the program — launched in partnership with Nikole Hannah-Jones, Howard University’s Knight chair in race and journalism — will provide recent graduates, mid-career alums and former students of Historically Black Colleges and Universities with full-year salaried and benefit-laden fellowships in the areas of reporting, editing, audience engagement and news product and technology.
Frances Ellen Watkins Harper Fellows will spend a year working in editorial, audience, product or technology roles with full-time salaries and benefits, made possible by the generous support of Michelle Mercer and Bruce Golden. Fellows will receive on-the-job training, mentorship and development opportunities. We’ll also provide career coaching to prepare fellows for their path after their fellowship.
Who can apply
Eligible candidates should be any one of the following:
- A recent graduate (within two years of graduation) or mid-career alum (5-10 years’ experience) of a Historically Black College or University
- A graduating senior of a Historically Black College College or University with a graduation date prior to the anticipated fellowship start date of October 2023
- An individual who attended a Historically Black College or University for at least two years, and either transferred or did not graduate
- All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States This can include conditional student/work visas, provided The 19th will not be required to take additional steps in sponsorship
Eligible candidates should also have the following:
- Some relevant experience in their chosen fellowship track
- A genuine interest in growing their career in journalism
- Alignment with The 19th’s values and community guidelines
How to apply
Frances Ellen Watkins Harper is now accepting applications for 2023-24 fellowship class, which begins in October. The application will require you to select which fellowship track(s) you are interested in applying for. Be sure to read about each of the tracks first before submitting your application. Click here to apply. Applications are due on May 15, 2023, at 5 p.m. CT.
Applicants will need the following to submit their application:
- A cover letter explaining why you want to work at The 19th, and what impact this fellowship program would have on your career goals
- Your résumé
- Relevant samples of your work